Listy-loo

Nothin' but lists. Lists morning noon and night. Lists, lists, lists, lists, lists, lists, lists.

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Being a Mom


As Thud's first birthday approaches, I have started reflecting on the first year of his young life. Being a mother has certainly been the hardest thing I have ever done. I feel I need to put that out there because it is like a weird cult. Everyone paints a candy-coated picture of parenting while you contemplate it. Then when you have the baby everyone who is a parent says "Oh it gets better" or "Sleep when you can" or "It is easier when they are older". I feel the need to be honest now to you while you have no kids or are thinking about kids or maybe while you need to back up the birth control!

Having said this, motherhood also has had rewards that have far exceeded my wildest dreams. Here is my list of my favorite things about being called Mommy.

1) the nap- he is happy and smiley and at the top of his game after a good nap. His new game is turning the light switch off and on in his bedroom, which he can reach from his crib.

2) the giggles- Thud has always been a great laugher. He continues to be that way and for that I am so very grateful. He laughs at a lot of different things. The other day he broke out laughing at a box of Jell-o. You can't beat that with a stick.

3) the seek- There is nothing like knowing that someone is seeking you out specifically for comfort or just cause they like you. It makes me feel squishy inside to know that I can provide a sense of security for someone like no one else can.

4) the new- Watching someone explore an everyday object for the first time is amazing. They want to know what it is and how it works. It may just be a belt to me but to Thud it is something to ponder and explore. What does it do? Can I fit it in my mouth? Will someone come running after me to take it away?

4 Comments:

Blogger VE said...

I love number 4. I used to fantasize that I would wake up one day, stripped of memory (a line and concept I ended up injecting into a play). That everything my eyes would fall upon would be new. The joy of watching another discover is amazing. It's why we like sitting people down and going "dude, dude, dude, this show is awesome, here, just watcht he pilot, I have it on DVD, trust me, let's watch it right now, you'll love it."

7/31/2006 3:10 AM  
Blogger Shannonymous said...

awwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!! my uterus just skipped a beat! =)

7/31/2006 11:35 AM  
Blogger MXF said...

There is a line from a play...I wish I knew what it was called...but it went "Your first time...how I envy you." There is something magical about experiencing something new and Thud gets to do that on a daily basis. It really is a wonder to watch it happen.

7/31/2006 1:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have thought about how amazing it must be to watch a baby learning the world around him... to say, be fascinated by a straw and have the world come crashing down when it's taken away- only to move to the next new thing 10 seconds later. Love it.

Of course, I'm still sticking to cats... but your kid rules.

7/31/2006 11:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home