Listy-loo

Nothin' but lists. Lists morning noon and night. Lists, lists, lists, lists, lists, lists, lists.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Crimes Against Cinema- Sequels, Remakes and Other Atrocities


I am finally getting around to catching up on all the movies I missed that came out last summer. In doing so I wasted 2 hours of my life on Friday watching a remake of a movie that simply did not need to be made. Why do people insist on doing this? Yes, I know that the answer is money but it seems rediculous to me. I am tired of having my time wasted. If you haven't seen some of these movies already, don't! If you have, I am so sorry.

8 Horrible Sequels, Remakes, and other Atrocities

1) Charlie and the Chocolate Factory- Ugh! I am a fan of Tim Burton. I usually enjoy his work which made my disappointment in this remake even greater. He just sucked the like out of a great story! Johnny Depp was awful as well. He was like a cartoon instead of a real person. So sad. The version with Gene Wilder is such a classic why would you want to remake a movie that is so good?

2) Grease 2- I like this movie. However, I do have the ability to distinguish between what I liek and what is good. They are 2 different thigs sometimes. That is certainly the case with this film. The songs are uber-cheesy, the acting not so good. The worst are the group numbers. They have one in a bowling alley parking lot. Yuck.

3) Eyes Wide Shut- Have you ever walked out of a movie theater and thought,"There goes 2 hours of my life I can never get back."? That was how I felt after this film. Pointless and so self-indulgent.

4) Midnight In The Garden of Good And Evil- This was so bad that I walked out. I never walk out of movies. Ever.

5) Psycho- The Gus Van Sant remake is a an almost shot by shot recreation of the original classic. Why Gus? DId you think that Vince would be better than Anthony Perkins (fellow ART Alum)? DId you think what the shower scene was missing was color? I just don't get it.

6) Legally Blonde 2: Red White and Blue- Oh Elle! I loved your first film. The message was great and it was so funny. The second film was such a waste of time and energy. Just dreadful.

7) Cruel Intentions- Bad Acting, bad dialogue, gratuitous lesbian kissing scene. Why does this movie exist?

8) Spice World- Ladies, please do not compare yourselves to the Beatles. Ever. Don't even allude to it. I tried to think about what the worst element of this movie was. The music? The screenplay? The acting? They were each equally deplorable.

4 Comments:

Blogger TinselTeeth said...

I brought your cousin Jim to a Rollins group outing to see "Spice World." Is that where things fell apart?

Also--please add the Cindy Crawford atrocity "Fair Game" to that list!

8/17/2006 1:09 PM  
Blogger Shannonymous said...

I loved Cruel Intentions & Legally Blonde 2, but you're right. Isn't it nice to know we are smart enough to distinguish between our guilty pleasures and truly good cinema? ;)

8/17/2006 3:23 PM  
Blogger Listy-loo said...

Yes- I think that was where it all went wrong with Jim. Oh dear, I had forgotten about that. I think you are MUCH better off now!

8/17/2006 3:55 PM  
Blogger VE said...

Cruel Intentions is a masterpiece.
A really, really, really, really horrible masterpiece.

I'm one of the few people who enjoyed Eyes Wide Shut.

8/18/2006 1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home