Listy-loo

Nothin' but lists. Lists morning noon and night. Lists, lists, lists, lists, lists, lists, lists.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Gotta Sing, Gotta Dance


PBS is in the middle of their pledge drive. What does that mean? That they run every piece of footage known to man relating to Broadway. There is Lost Broadway, Best of Broadway, Best of the Tonys. The list goes on and on. These programs have really got me to thinking. What are my favorite musical numbers of all time? Here is what I have come up with, even if the criteria is a bit inconsistant. It's my list, damn it!

1) Whatever Lola Wants/ Damn Yankees- this is the most fun sexy girl number out there. The show is ok, nothing great but this number has always stood out to me. Besides, you can't beat the original Broadway combo of Gwen Verdon doing this number with Bob Fosse choreography.

2) Book Report/ You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown- talk about an ensemble showcase! This number is a bit complicated but if you have good actors that understand timing, it is fantastic. It is very funny and super-snappy!

3) One Day More/ Les Miserables- if you are a theatre snob (notice the re), you are thinking about writing me off at the mention of Les Miz. Don't! I know the show has mass appeal. But of all the mass marketed shows, this one is the best. It is not Cats or Starlight Express (I will be addressing those tomorrow). Back to One Day More. Here is why it is good. It comes at the very end of Act 1. It does a very good job at summing up the plot before intermission and gets people on their feet as the curtain is coming down for the 15 minute break. I can not think of another musical that I have seen that roused the crowd so well at intermission.

4) We Do Not Belong Together/ Sunday In The Park With George- Burnadette Peters and Mandy Patinkin are 2 of the best musical theater performers of the last 25 years. With this number it is just the two of them. The song itself is brilliant- a fight in which everything between Dot and George is laid out. He loves her but he has his work, she loves him but can't compete with his work, In my musical theater fantasy, I sing this song and Burnadette's voice comes out of my mouth.

5) Kid's Game/ Blood Brothers- I did this show in college. It wasn't the best musical I have ever done (I think the book is a bit weak) but It was a lot of fun to do. This number was a blast. I ran around the stage for 5 minutes. You can't beat getting to play a kid who is very ill-behaved as a 21 year old. I highly recommend it.

6) Summer Nights/ Grease- Grease is my favorite musical of all time. It was my favorite before I even knew what a musical was. This was the first movie my parents took me to see and then I came home and promptly performed all the songs I could remember for my Nana. This particular number sums up the show perfectly- it is young, energetic and has that inuendo that runs throughout Grease.

7) With Every Breath I Take/ City Of Angels- great torch song. I used to sing this in my car on my was to school in high school. If you are a female singer with a good belt, you should learn this song. I think it has come out of rotation for auditions!

8) Cabaret/ Cabaret- a great way to wrap up on of the best musicas ever written. It is great to watch the realization of Sally Bowles character, that life is not, in fact, a Cabaret. This musical is great because it doesn't sugar coat one thing, while most musicals require wet-naps they are so sticky sweet.

4 Comments:

Blogger MXF said...

I gotta say I love the Jets song at the beginning of West Side Story. I'm also rather fond of Loverly just because it's fun to sing.

I concur on Summer Nights and One Day More (Snowman and I are singing that one Thursday night). I love Cabaret, but I don't love that song. I think Wilkomen is great.

8/08/2006 9:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a theatre (!) snob as well, but I have seen Les Miz at least 6 times on two continents. I have fantasized about performing A Little Fall of Rain with Michael Cerveris more times than I want to admit. One Day More is also an amazing song. I also looooove Cabaret. What a stunning, beautiful, sad end to her. I love it.

I'd also add Could We Start Again, Please? from Jesus Christ Superstar. Sad and beautiful.

8/08/2006 10:54 PM  
Blogger Shannonymous said...

Gwen Verdon really was something, wasn’t she?!?!? LOVE HER!

I hate when people rag on Les Mis. I LOVE IT! It is so emotional and tragic, as any art about war should be. Sure it’s melodramatic, but few musicals aren’t. Surprise, surprise: I also love the QUEEN of melodramatic musicals: Blood Brothers. I think Kids Game is the only number in the show that doesn’t make me weep- it is super fun and yet has some very subtle undercurrents of social commentary about how some games from childhood carry into adulthood.

Every Sondheim number rocks in one way or another, but you’re right, We Do Not… really stands out, especially in that show.

GREASE ROCKS!!!!!!!! Yes, it’s super cheesy and campy and dated, but IT ROCKS! I swear, I don’t think there is any musical I’ve done that is more PURE FUN. I’ve done it twice and I would do it five more times (as long as I could play different roles each time). I can never hear songs from this show without singing along and feeling INCREDIBLY nostalgic. I think I was a “bobby-sockser” in a past life… and that you were too! ;)

Great sum up of why “Cabaret” is so amazing. I love that show so much- it is such an amazing mix of comedy and tragedy- truly brilliant. Another show I would do 5 more times, at least.

8/09/2006 9:49 AM  
Blogger VE said...

No "Send In The Clowns?!"

8/10/2006 12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home