Listy-loo

Nothin' but lists. Lists morning noon and night. Lists, lists, lists, lists, lists, lists, lists.

Friday, February 01, 2008

Sooner Or Later


It was bound to happen. I think it is the fate of most people. At some point in our adult lives we realize we are turning into our parents. I have mixed feelings bout becoming my mother. On one hand, I think she is a great person. I love her and admire her. On the other hand, I watched her make some mistakes I do not care to repeat. Like everything, its about finding balance. Having said that, there is at least once a day that I am reminded that I am turning into my Mom. Here is my list of

4 Ways I Am Becoming My Mother

1) Weird Packages- I used to get the weirdest things sent to me in college care packages. Like coupons and beauty samples. Now I can't seem to break the cycle as I just sent Vivi a package with a bra and a random book. Yeah weird, I know.

2) Saying Stuff- I know everyone does this one. I hear myself saying things to Thud that Mom used to say to me. My favorite was "You kids are going to drive me to drink!". I try to avoid that one. I want to say it like 20 times a day but I haven't yet.

3) Losing My Mind- in my teens, I thought my mother was crazy and she was. Why was she that way? I made her that way. Me and my brother. Yes I have contributed to the mental demise of a fellow human being. Mom- I am so sorry. If it makes you feel any better, it is happening to me!

4) My Opinion=Important- I realized that I have this weird need to tell everyone what I think about most things. I don't have the ability to keep stuff to myself. Not everyone wants to know how I think they should be living their own lives. This is my mother in me. Big time. This is one of those things I am making an effort to change!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oy, I know what you mean. One of my mom's favorite things to say when we see old footage or old pictures of someone is, "Oy, that's his Bar Mitzvah picture!" And I found myself saying it the other night while watching the old Jon Stewart/Conan O'Brien footage on Colbert. I was mortified. And could I BE more Jewish?

fink

2/02/2008 3:34 AM  
Blogger Listy-loo said...

Isn't it funny? I always here those kinds of things coming out of my mouth in slow motion. While it is coming out I think, "Hey, when did my mother show up?"!

2/03/2008 11:30 AM  
Blogger Shannonymous said...

I totally agree. I do everything on your list, a lot like my mother does. But don't stop #4. Your opinions are terrific; smart women like us should never keep our mouths shut! ;) (That goes for you too, fink!)

2/04/2008 10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home