Listy-loo

Nothin' but lists. Lists morning noon and night. Lists, lists, lists, lists, lists, lists, lists.

Friday, April 18, 2008

Brit Speak


I am very excited. Why? I am going to London town next month! I love London. I went there in 2004 and had a wonderful time and great experience. One of the good things about going to the UK is that you are traveling to another country but you don't have to learn a new language. Trying to speak another language makes me sweaty with anxiety. There are, however, variations in words and phrases that they use. Some of them don't make any sense. Some of them are kinda cool. Here is my list of

6 Ace British Words

1) Queue- it means to line up. It sounds so cute and friendly. Its more like they are asking you to queue up than telling you to form a line.

2) Cheers- the UK equal to Aloha. It means good-bye and thank you. I love a good multi- purpose word.

3) Fag- not what you think. It is slang for a cigarette. This is just one of those words that I like cause it means something so very different here. I think fag is a lower class term though. Not a big deal since I don't smoke anyway!

4) Ring- this is a verb across the pond. It means to call someone. It just sounds cooler to me than saying "I will call you.". Maybe I want to ring you instead.

5) Smart- like sharp or snazzy. It usually refers to some one's dress or how they look.

6) Wanker/ Tosser- jerk or jackass here in the states. It is just plain fun to say!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked, "knock you up" as in, "What time can I knock you up in the morning?" Or, "right fit bird" which I had no idea was a compliment until I asked someone.

4/19/2008 9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked, "knock you up" as in, "What time can I knock you up in the morning?" Or, "right fit bird" which I had no idea was a compliment until I asked someone.

4/19/2008 9:37 AM  
Blogger Listy-loo said...

Oh, I never heard knock you up! I will try to use it on my visit.

4/19/2008 10:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of my favs is "fancy" as a verb meaning "to like." As in, "I would let Brad Pitt touch my naughty bits because I fancy him so very much" and "Do you fancy a steak tonight?"

4/21/2008 10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home