Listy-loo

Nothin' but lists. Lists morning noon and night. Lists, lists, lists, lists, lists, lists, lists.

Thursday, September 06, 2007

Southern Fried Delicious


Usually when I get a bit homesick, it manifests itself in my desire to eat all things southern. I attempted to make BBQ pulled pork sandwiches for Thud's birthday and I think it left me (and all the other southern folks) wanting the real thing. There are specifics that I like about southern food and you may be surprised- they aren't all deep fried! Here is my list of

10 Favorite Southern Foods

1) Fried Green Tomatoes- these are sooo yummy. If I am craving them here, I go to Delta Grill.

2) Fried Chicken- I love it. My MIL makes wonderful fried chicken. She said it was the first thing Mamaw ever taught her how to cook. Things aren't southern unless they are made with love!

3) Sweet Tea- not too sweet and with lemon please! When I make this at home now I don't sweeten it cause its not so good for you that way. When I go home, I only order it sweet!

4) Corn Bread- when you make this in a cast iron skillet it gets a fantastic crust on the bottom that is very good! Thud is in love with cornbread right now.

5) Grits- there are a lot of things you can do with grits. I learned to eat them with butter and sugar on them- that's the Yankee way. Southerners usually have a fried egg on top of theirs in the morning. I also am a big fan of shrimp and grits.

6) BBQ Ribs- There is something so good about eating ribs in someone's backyard on a hot day. In Florida it is hot out 9 months of the year so it isn't just a summer thing.

7) Alligator- I like alligator and it isn't just like chicken. This is becoming more popular cause it is so good. Yes, this one is deep fried!

8) Coleslaw- I like my coleslaw on the tangy side not the sweet side. Virgil's in NYC has the best coleslaw I've ever eaten. I always get it as my 2 sides! I think it has pickles in it.

9) Banana Pudding- mmmm. One of my favorite desserts. Tinselteeth makes some of the best banana pudding you will ever eat. Home made love!

10) Home Made Biscuits- mine always come out like little hockey pucks. There is nothing quite like a warm soft biscuit for breakfast, maybe with a little bacon!

3 Comments:

Blogger Shannonymous said...

I've just been put on a no fried foods diet so reading this was TOUGH!!! Thank GOD I can still have banana pudding and coleslaw!!!!

9/06/2007 4:40 PM  
Blogger The Fink said...

Man I love shrimp and grits. Mara made the best I've ever had. I was salivating over Trey's version on Top Chef. And biscuits and sweet tea!! I actually miss Alabama right now.

9/06/2007 5:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Listy,
I agree with your list %100. I might have added fried okra in the number eleven slot though. Yumm!!!!!!!

9/06/2007 11:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home