Listy-loo

Nothin' but lists. Lists morning noon and night. Lists, lists, lists, lists, lists, lists, lists.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Stand Up


My parents were never really strict with me. This lead to two things- I could watch whatever I wanted and didn't have a bed time on the weekends. Oh should specify that I mean elementary school age at time being referenced. I will not let my child watch whatever he wants. I was taken to see Flash Dance at 6 (how inappropriate) and Poltergeist at 7 (nightmares for weeks). The only benefit of this whole nonsense was that I watched a lot of SNL and HBO comedy specials. From the time I was about 8, I have been really interested in stand up comedy. I have watched a lot of stand up. I heart comedy. It is my secret dream to do stand up but I lack the balls. Instead of living my dream, I will make a list. Here is my list of

9 Awesomely Funny Stand Up Comedians

1) David Cross- I talked with someone recently who knew him from Arrested Development and didn't know he did stand up. He is a great comedian! I would like to see him live.

2) Maria Bamford- she is quirky and funny and has great timing. She is also the only girl involved in Comedians of Comedy. If you haven't seen Comedians of Comedy, we shouldn't talk again until you've seen it.

3) Billy Crystal- a master. His HBO special in the mid 80's is beyond brilliant. It had sketches in the beginning that have that whole Christopher Guest crew. I am so sad that I didn't get to see 700 Sundays on Broadway.

4) Bill Hicks- you have to like Bill Hicks. He talked about things that comedians weren't talking about at the time. Sometimes he hated his audience. The rule of thumb is to NOT do that but Hicks was awesome at it. He is the comedian's comedian.

5) Joey Kola- You may not know him. I do. I got to work with him a few years ago. So funny and a great guy. He is a working comedian as in he was Rosie O'Donnell's warm up guy for her show and now he warms up the Martha Stewart Show crowd. I laughed so hard at him in a rehearsal that I thought I was going to choke. No lie.

6) Susie Essman- she is great on Curb but her stand up is hysterical. I really appreciate a woman who isn't afraid to work blue!

7) George Carlin- he isn't as funny as he used to be back in the day but he's still a classic. And classics never go out of style.

8) Chris Rock- the smartest comedian working today. It's that simple.

9) Jim Gaffigan- just when you think he is going to be all normal and stuff he starts using the voice inside his head and it is funny and weird.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim Gaffigan is the best. I'm seeing him in November and I'm already wetting my pants in anticipation! Zach Galifinakis is also a favorite of mine.

And my parents also took me to see inappropriate movies... I feel ya on that one.

fink

4/22/2008 7:39 PM  
Blogger Shannonymous said...

No Dane Cook? No Dana Carvey? No Robin Williams?? No Whoopi Goldberg?!?

4/23/2008 10:09 AM  
Blogger Listy-loo said...

Dane Cook is NOT funny. Whoopi Goldberg isn't a stand-up comedian, she is an actress. Dana & Robin aren't in my top 9!

4/23/2008 2:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dane Cook clearly sucked the cock of satan to be where he is. Whoopi Goldberg frightens me with her vicious androgeny. Robin Williams was funny for like, a second. Back in 1972. Dana Carvey? Really?!
I shouldn't say anything. I like Ron White. Almost against my will.

4/23/2008 6:50 PM  
Blogger Shannonymous said...

WHOOPI GOLDBERG STARTED as a stand-up!!! She is BRILLIANT at stand up. Her early HBO specials were amazing and she was an integral part of Comic Relief w/ Williams & Crystal.

And I think Dane Cook used to be HILARIOUS until he got really famous and full of himself. His early stuff was brilliant: the Burget King bit, the girls dancing at clubs, and his SNL monologue were all AWESOME. Until he got big and stopped sweating he rocked.

And Dana & Robin were amazing before they got to be TV/movie stars too. Coked-up Robin & Dana choppin' broccolli?!?! The stuff of legends...

4/24/2008 4:38 AM  
Blogger Sojourner (You Can't Handle the) Truth said...

what do i have to do to get my name on this list?

RIP George Carlin!

6/23/2008 1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home